This last weekend we had visitors stay with us. Their eldest also came along – he is a great friend of Joshua’s. After writing a few web pages on Play I was particularly tuned in to see what the children were learning while they had fun. These were my observations….
* put up tent for camping – problem solving, co-operation, working as a team, decision making
* board games – Risk, Othello, Connect Four, Billionaire
* campfire – responsibility for environment/fire, star gazing, discussions on faith, cooking,
* discussions – the boys talked on science issues, history, and issues of faith
* creative projects such as sewing soft toys, and using junk boxes and masking tape.
I am sure there was a lot more happening but the things I noticed are impressive enough – the kids didn’t know they were learning, or consolidating their abilities – they were just having fun, playing with their each other and enjoying their visitor!