I am always aware that as we study Character, it isn’t the study that changes our life, it is in the making choices and living it out.
This month our Character Trait is Orderliness and it is one that we really do need to practice – picking up after ourselves, leaving a place tidy before we leave, and having a home for everything and putting things back where they belong.
A new thought that I have had in the last week is that certain areas of my home are for specific tasks,or I have specific goals for each area – the goal for my kitchen is to cook food, (it is also my homecenter) so I need to have it arranged so that I meet those goals effectively and efficiently. The same for my office, and for the Family Room – the clutter has happened because I have allowed other things to happen in that room. In doing so I have not allowed that room, or area, to be used for it’s intended purpose (which is an aspect of orderliness – or disorder as the case may be.)
So this month instead of working to understand what Orderliness looks like, by understanding different aspects we are going to spend most of our time putting it into practice. I have compiled a list – and it will grow as I look at different rooms – a list of different areas that need some organisation, some order. Each day we will spend 30-60min working on one task/one area a day.
My Paper Piles
My Emails (declutter by unsubscribing to anything less than the best)
The kids will work on:
* Shoe Box
* Bathroom Cupboard
* Container cupboard in Kitchen, espeically matching lids with containers
* Laundry storage cupboard – especially reducing house decorations to what I really love
* Kids school boxes (boxes they keep under their desks with books and finished work)
* Sports cupboard outside veranda
* Hand-me-downs from our friend A.BB
* Hobby Room – make a trip to give back to people stuff that has accumulated here
* Hobby Room – kids bookcase, hobby cupboard/shelves, box of boxes
* Toy cupboard needs to be sorted, reduced, and organised
This is a fair list but it is better to have areas like this listed rather than a whole room. When I start to think that my whole house needs to be decluttered it is overwhelming – this way we have bite size pieces to deal with one day at a time.
So here I am, telling the world what needs to happen! Nothing like a bit of cyber-friends accountability to keep me on my toes!
Live life with your Kids!