Highlights for today’s studies:
Mondays are our ‘teaching’ day – I focus on the subjects that need my direct input.
· Character – we reviewed this for the last time (we will look at it again through family life I am sure, but not as a formal lesson for a while). We discussed the fact that we need to choose that what our authority wants us to do is important – when we do that, we will put our whole heart into the task. We discussed excellence and the areas of mediocrity in our life. We discussed finishing projects. These three areas would be the heart issues that the study of diligence has stirred in our house.
· Bible Study – Nomi and Daniel are beginning a chronological study of the Bible – focusing on major stories. We are starting with the idea that God reveals himself through His creation and His word and that we need to respond to him.
· Writing – Each week the kids need to complete a writing assignment, based on skills taught in IEW. This month we are working on keyword outlines and summaries. I have decided Daniel needs more oral work so we are still doing oral narrations instead of the keyword outlines. He understands keywords but I want him to develop his listening, thinking and memory skills through narrations before we use more formal writing techniques. I had a quick review session with Josh and Jess, just checking on how they are going with these assignments.
· Independent work – Nomi and Daniel both have their list of independent studies (we are calling them our daily diligences, which co-incidently coincides with our character study!)
· Auslan – sign language of the deaf. We are slowly working our way through the dvd classes. We need to use it more in the home everyday to build up our vocab and finger spelling familiarity.