We had a relaxed Saturday morning since most things around the house were fairly caught up. I had a Scrapbooking Workshop Saturday afternoon which meant I managed to complete some pages – my Christmas Album needed journalling. It is all done now till 2008!! Need more workshop time to get more done!
The girls spent the afternoon (and a little time on Sunday as well) sewing. Jess finished a handbag she designed and Nomi finished the beaded trim on a hat she had made me for Christmas. The boys played a war-battle with Joshua’s miniature soldiers.
We stayed home Saturday night as Pete was preaching on Sunday. We like to keep things fairly low-key if he is preaching. It was a shame that there was a community bush dance – we really enjoyed the last one but couldn’t get there this time. Hopefully there’ll be another.
For our Thinking Movie on Sunday night we watched Jeremiah’s Call. We watched the movie and then moved up to the table for some discussion as we ate dinner. The kids struggled a little to see any application to their lives initially but after a few prompting questions conversation started rolling. The thing that struck Peter while watching this very short movie was that God promised the exiles that they would return in 70 years. This meant that very few of the adults would have returned. This spoke to Peter about the need to see that it isn’t all about us – that we have to build, encourage, equip our children, and even our children’s children for them to walk in God’s promises. We talked for a while then about generations of Letchfords and what will our family legacy be.
Bits and Pieces that Happened:
- At church on Sunday Jess was on the music team (singing) and Josh was on the sound desk.
- There is still a few more rows of de-vining down in the sandalwood plantation so the kids will continue to spend an hour or so each morning – we lose about 1/2 hour – 1 hour of study time. But the lifeskills they learn while working together is great.
- Daniel is on cook’s helper this week. He’s learnt to peel potatoes, chop apples for a coleslaw, poach eggs (most of the learning was to crack open an egg without busting the yolk).
- Monday – we did have a full study day happen. Nomi and Daniel had, in addition to their independent work, Bible study, Living Math, Geography. Pete then spent about 2 hours with them talking about air pressure and the various practical applications of that.
- I sat with Jess for just under an hour going through Polished Cornerstones to see how that could fit her and our situation for Jessica’s Bible Study. She is going to give it a shot – with her main focus being Bible study more than practical life skills.
- The girls both spent time working on their Scrapbooking assignments (from last Thursday’s Keepers)
- A big mess was made as Daniel polished his shoes inside – no-one told him it was an outside job!! Oh well, another life lesson learnt.
- Tuesday – I was up early cooking muffins for some friends who were moving house today. Josh and Peter went into help them move furniture and boxes. During lessons I kept cooking so I could take in an evening meal to our friends as well. The girls had piano lessons – and a full schedule of lessons.
- Tuesday afternoon is working time – Jess helped me with office work and stuff that needs to be given/returned to other people. Nomi cleaned. Daniel mowed.
- We watched the news after dinner – mainly to see how NewZealand was faring after their major earthquake – but the weather had a whole new meaning to Daniel especially after his time with Peter the other day talking about air pressure.
- Wednesday – We start to say to each other “we must start practicing for the Homeschool concert on Saturday” but we don’t get around to it! (Other than the girls on their piano pieces)
- We slept in – it was rainy, and thundering – just right for sleeping in! Pete decided to take the kids down and finish the last row in the sandalwood (even though it was a later start) and then cut down and remove some trees in our driveway that have blown over. By the time they had finished the sun was out and the humidity had risen. I spent the hour or so on my notes for the Boyanup Christian Homeschool Conference. The kids came in and had an hour or so rest before they continued with their day.
- I didn’t teach on Wednesday; the kids just worked on their independent studies.
- Joshua’s uni books have arrived so he is back with a full time study schedule.
- My friend and her kids took me and our kids out for lunch, they came back here for another cuppa and some play time.
- We had guests over for dinner – a few couples from church who we want to get to know.
- Thursday – Off to do the grocery shop with the girls before they went to Mainly Music.
- We left Daniel at home working with Peter. Daniel had a great day helping his dad with lots of different projects around the yard and shed. Peter actually let him drive the car forward as they emptied the trailor – as far as I know it was the first time Daniel drove the car all by himself.
- Our afternoon was quiet but very productive. The kids worked on various projects. I spent a while talking to Daniel about him using Contenders of the Faith to help him find productive activity for his free time. He has loved the idea. He has chosen to study Proverbs, Wildlife and Photography (Astronomy will be next apparently!)
- Peter spent some time with Daniel after dinner talking about the camera settings and translating the Contenders assignments from film to digital.
- Our Bible study still hasn’t started just yet so we had another free evening. After dinner we put our heads together as we have to come up with something for the concert! By the time everyone went to bed we’d had lots of laughs and had narrowed it down to a few choices. Nomi is going to be MC so she is collecting one-liners as well.
- Friday – the concert is tomorrow!!
- Daniel back out in the shed with Pete in the morning, girls keeping themselves busy with piano, reading, writing and concert practices.
- I had a slow morning – had a few phonecalls before I worked in the office.
- We had an early lunch and headed into town. Kids went to the library – Jess went to a music practice for church on Sunday. Pete and I did a few chores around town and then went out to the nursery to look for some different plants than what we already have in our garden. The nursery lady was very helpful and we came back full of ideas – but no plants just yet as the garden bed isn’t ready.
- Kids off to Youth Bible study – Daniel doesn’t go so we practiced for the concert and watched Better Homes and Garden (I scrapbooked while I watched – sort of!)
Things that didn’t Happen:
- We didn’t practice for the concert till Friday!
- I didn’t make a fruit cake with Daniel – something he has wanted to do for a few weeks!
- I didn’t make haircut appointments for the kids this week
- We only had two study days (I plan for 3) though the other days were full of good learning opportunities
- I didn’t go exercising once this week. The rain is very unmotivating!